Latest News !




The following list of resources is for your consideration and not intended as an endorsement of any group, information provided or it’s practices.  We would like to thank Elaine Hime for the use of her Resource Guide for Parents of Children with Disabilities, Houston and Surrounding Areas in compiling some of the resources listed.  The entire guide is available in English and Spanish at




UTHealth's Enable Research Study


Spina Bifida Association of America


211 Center call 211 to reach them

Staffed by specifically trained specialist who quickly asses caller’s needs and refer them to local services here in Houston.  Available 24/7 with multilingual capabilities.


Directory of Community Services in Texas for Individuals with Disabilities and their Families

Comprehensive Texas disability resource directory


Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities


Callaborative for Children  713-600-1100 or 713-600-1234

Child care resource and referral


Father’s Network

Publishes a newsletter


Minnesota Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities

Has health information for parents, kids, and teens; spina bifida is under health problems, brain and nervous systems


Parents Helping Parents: Family Resource Center for Children with Special Needs

408-727-5775 English and Spanish speaking staff and publications


The National Center for Medical Home Initiatives for Children with Special Needs

Educational, resource, and advocacy materials, guidelines for care, evaluation tools, technical assistance and forms to help you keep records for your child


National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities

English and Spanish source of information on disabilities in infants, toddlers, children, and youth.  Offers a free package of information about national and state resources, publication list, and various booklets


Sibling Support Project


Texas Center for Disability Studies, U.T.


Texas Parent to Parent

Helps parents to be advocates for their children through peer support, referrals, and public awareness




Heath Resource Center

Online clearing house for college and education options for individuals with disabilities


It’s Time to Transition!

Workbook for young adults, their families, and their medical providers.  The goal of this workbook is to organize the medical transition process into a smooth, successful move from pediatric focused to adult focused health care.


Spina Bifida Association of America

Guide to health care for adults living with spina bifida notebook or CD has forms for transitioning and managing health care


Imagine Enterprises  1-800-572-7159 in Seabrook, but serves all of Texas.  Provides help in getting and keeping jobs; transistion toolkit CD; self-determination workshops


Association for Development Disabilities  713-926-3025  Provides a transitional bridge from high school to competitive employment

Provides information and referral, peer support, individual and systems advocacy, inpedendent living skills training and coordination of services

Brazoria County Center for Independent Living  Angleton 929-849-7060

Fort Bend County Center for Independent Living  281-890-2219

Houston Center for Independent Living  713-974-4621

Resource, Information, Support and Empowerment  Beaumont  409-832-2599

Crockett Resources Center for Independent Living  936-544-2811


Vocational Advancement and Social Skills Training (V.A.S.T) and the Office Skills Training Program for Students with Development Disabilities Houston Community College Central


Open Doors to Postsecondary Education, Training, and Planning for Life after High School  800-441-4653


Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education – Know Your Rights and Responsibilities


Career and Recovery Resource Center  713-754-7000


Gulf Coast Community Service Association  713-393-4700


Houston Works  713-654-1919


Job Corps  800-733-5627


Memorial Assistance Ministries  713-468-4516


MHMRA Employment Services  713-970-7614


Texas Rehabilitation Commission  713-735-3470 or 800-628-5115


Texas Workforce Commission  713-688-6890


Sork Source  281-807-9462


National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability


Association for Persons in Supported Employment




Shriners Hospital for Children Houston  713-797-1616 or 1-800-237-5055


Texas Children’s Hospital Spina Bifida Clinic 832-822-4308


University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston  New patient appointment  409-772-2222 or





Alvin Community Health Endeavor 1111 West Adoue Street  281-331-1036


Ben Taub Oral Surgery Clinic  713-643-3691


Dental Center San Jose Clinic  713-228-9411


Good Neighbor Dental Clinic  277 West Gray  713-529-3260


Harris County Dental Health Center  1612 Fannin  713-757-0572


Houston Dental Society  Dental Referral Services  713-961-4337


Houston Department of Health and Human Services Dental Health Services  713-794-9363


University of Texas Health Science Center Dental Branch  713-500-4000




Americas medical Clinic  7575 San Felipe  713-266-8840


Good Neighbor Healthcare Center Eye Clinic  277 West Gray  713-527-8480


Harris County Hospital District  713-526-6077 or 713-566-6400


Harris County Optometric Society Eye Doctor Referral Services  713-331-3311


Houston Eye Association Foundation  713-558-8760


University Eye Institute, University of Houston College of Optometry  713-743-1886




Sandi Project  832-842-2007

Research project for individuals with spina bifida to identiy key outcomes in children, teens, and adults.  To address these goals they evaluate skills and abilities, academic and vocational achievement, and behavioral and social adjustments; do MRI of the brain and analyze genetic material.  The results of these studies will be discussed with the parent and if requested by the parent can be made available to school for IEPs or 504 planning


Parents as Partners in Special Education Support Group  713-789-5628  Free meetings in English and Spanish on the 2nd Monday in August through June at 11am to 1pm; organized by ARC of Houston; main focus is helping families understand and navigate special education services available through public schools  Bilingual website dedicated to providing accurate and consistent information on the special education process


Families and Advocates Partnership for Education (FAPE)

Partnerships that aims to improve the educational outcomes for children with disabilities


Office of Special Education Programs


Texas Education Agency – Special Education Page  www.tea.state.tx/us/special,ed

Special Education Information Line  1-800-252-9668  Special education staff are available to help parents with concerns about their child’s education


Early Childhood Intervention (EDI) of Texas


Technical Assistance Alliance

Features research-based information on special education and related topics.  The site includes a wide selection of news, publications, resources, and directory of the nations’ Parent Centers



A parent training center.  Has many free resources translated to Spanish


Foundation for Children with Behavioral Challenges

Includes many resources and lins


Special Education Exchange




Learning Disabilities Association of America  Information also available in Spanish  Learning disability resources  Non-verbal learing disorders  Non-verbal learning disorders  Non-verbal Learning Disorders Association




Disabled Children’r Relief Fund (DCRF)  516-377-1605

P.O. Box 89

Freeport, NY  11520

Provides equipment, prostheses, and rehabilitative services through grants


Project MEND  713-641-0777

8305 Telephone Road

Houston, TX  77061


Toy Tech – United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Houston  713-838-9050

Toy lending library and playgroups




Supplemental Social Security Income  (SSI)  1800-772-1213  Information about making a clain or appeal for SSI or SSD


Career and Recovery Resources  713-754-7000


Christian Rescue Mission  713-659-7750


Emergency Aid Coalition  713-522-0667


Guadalupe Social Services  713-227-9981


Gulf Coast Community Services  713-393-4700


Harris County Cold Card  713-463-3691

For health care through county clinics, Ben Taub, and LBJ


Houston Urban League  713-393-8700


Medically Needy Program  800-250-8263


The Medicine Program  713-996-7300


Social Security Administration  800-772-1213




Your employer or carrier can provide information about your coverage, such as limits or caps on the amount they will pay for treatment of certain conditions or types of therapy.  While a child is under the age of 3 and qualifies for Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) use it and save your insurance for later or other health problems.


Texas Department of Insurance  1-800-252-3439

Helps parents of children with disabilities that have insurance problems.  Offers “What Texans with Disabilities Should Know about Insurance” a free booklet explaining the rights of Texas with disabilities.  To order it call 1-800-599-7467


Health Insurance Premium Payment Reimbursement Program (HIPP)  1-800-440-0493

HIPP is a Medicaid program that pays the cost of insurance premiums, co-insurance, deductibles, and other cost sharing.  HIPP will reimburse the health-insurance premiums of payroll deduction sfor Medicaid-eligible persons, but only when Medicaid determines it would be cost effective.  The advantage of this program is that members of your family who are not eligible for Medicaid will be covered under your private health insurance plan.


Government Programs explained in more detail

It is important to fill out an application even if there is a long waiting list.


Medicaid, HHSC

For local office address call 713-767-2000 or 211 for information


EPSDT – Teas Healthsteps


Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP HHSC) 1-800-647-6558

The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is for families who earn too much money to quality for Medicaid, yet cannot afford private insurance


Texas Health Insurance Risk Pool


Children with Special Health Care Needs Division (CSHCN), TXDSHS

To apply call 713-767-3111 or 1-800-252-8032


In Home and Family Support (IH&FS), Tx. Department of Aging and Disability Services (TxDADS)

Provides funding for yearly grants.  The grant monies can be used for specialized equipment, home modifications, medical services, personnel attendants, training, and respite.  There are income limites (much higher than Medicaid) and co-pays may apply.  Has a waiting list


Community Living Assistance and Support Services (CLASS) Community Care Services, TXDADS

To be placed on a waiting list, call 1-877-438-5658 (state office); for information only, call Vita-Living, Inc. 713-271-5795.  CLASS provides home and community services such as therapy and personal-attendant care, counseling, home medication and respite care for persons with disabilities.  Qualification is based on approved needs.  Once accepted, the child also qualifies for regular Medicaid benefits.

Note: Long waiting list.  Program is not statewide.




City of Houston Emergency Repairs  713-868-8400


Community Development of Baytown  281-420-6597

Fort Bend Corps  281-313-2677


Harris County Housing and Economic Development   713-578-2000


Home Savers Modification Program  713-659-2511




Advocacy Inc.  713-974-7691 or 1-800-880-0821 (Houston Office)

Supports rights protection of persons with disabilities, provides literature and speakers.


Disability Law Research Project (DLRP)  1-800-949-4232

The DLRP is a resource on the American Disabilities Act (ADA) related laws.  Experts staff are available to provide training and publications as well as respond to your inquires.


Houston Volunteer Lawyers  713-228-0732


Houston Bar Association – free legal line on 1st and 3rd Wed. 5-9 pm  713-759-1133


Legal Aid Clinic University of Houston Law Center  713-743-2094  Servers families whose income meets federal poverty guidelines.  Takes a limited number of cases.


Long Star Legal Aid  713-652-0077


Mental Health Association Guardianship Handbook  713-523-8963


Texas Guardianship Association


South Texas School of Law (Social Security Issues)  713-652-0009


Williams - Kherkher (Texas Board of Legal Specialization)  713-230-2200 or 1-800-220-9341


Estate and Financial Plans for Special Needs Trust funds are private arrangements made by the families of children with disabilities.  Trust funds may take many different forms.  For further information, call your attorney or Estate Planning for Disabiliteies, Steve Rhatigan  281-364-7211


Center for Education and Employment Law




Bilingual Group for Hispanic Mother’s (Pasadena

Harris County Health Departmetn Southeast Clinic  Dana Wallace, Social Worker  713-7405025


El Grupo de Apoyo Ripley Community Center  713-921-3036  For Spanish speaking families of children with mental retardation, autism, and other development disabilities, meets the last Tuesday of the month at 10 am.


Houston Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health  281-335-5600

Contact: Barbara Sewell  Information, referral, education, and advocacy parent groups.


Mom to Mom  281-412-7284  Supports moms with newly diagnosed baby with a disability or illness


National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Metropolitan Houston  713-970-3455

Several chapters of NAMI in the Houston area offer supports groups.  Call for dates, times, and location. Newsletter available.


Special Kids, Inc. (SKI) Grassroots Consortium  713-754-5355 or 713-643-9576

Contact: Rose Ferguson  Meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at Outreach Baptist Church at 5055 Belfort, Houston, Texas 77033




CARE Group Stables at South Houston Equestrain Center   713-383-2100  9299 Kirby Dr, Houston


Flying Free Equitherapy  Santa Fe, Tx. 409-925-1942


Leap of Faith Equine  Willis, Tx.  936-648-4606  Assisted Riding Center


Morning Glory Ranch  Waller, Tx.  936-372-2212


Ride On, Inc.  Richmond, Tx. 77469  281-342-7273  Contact Hannah Mac Brown


S.H.A.R.E  Special Horses and Riders Excelling College Stations, Tx.  979-690-2364


Self-Improvement through Riding Education (SIRE) Therapy Program  Spring and Missouri City, Tx.



Southern Breeze Equestrian Center  281-431-4868  West Houston Medical Center




The ARC of Greater Houston  713-957-1600

Ages 4-25 with mental retardation, autism, and other autistic spectrum disorders


Hermann Respite House Herman Children’s Hospital  713-704-2394  Application required.  Medically fragile and developmental delay.


Respite Program of mental Health mental Retardation (MHMR) of Harris County 713-970-7617 or

713-970-7621  Bayshores House Houston


 MHMR Gulf Coast Center – MR Division  1-800-615-4763 or 281-585-7460


Texana MHMR Services  281-208-6672


Tri-County MHMR 936-521-6226  Apply through intake


United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Houston, Inc.  713-838-9050


Montgomery County Respite Services, UCP of Greater Houston, Conroe, Tx. 936-441-0789 ext. 472 or

1-888-825-9682 ext 472


Parent’s Night Out Program, Houston Area Respite Center  713-271-6001


Special Kids’ Night Out, Lake Houston YMCA, Kingwood, 381-360-2500  For children with disabilities 5 and older, siblings included one Saturday amonth from 6:30 pm to 10 pm.  Pre-registration required.




Harris County Coordinated Transportation Services  713-313-1765  Subsidized transportation for the elderly and people with disabilities for those living outside the Metro service area.


Medicaid Transportation  1-877-633-8747  Transportation assistance for medical appointments can be obtained for those who receive Medicaid; mileage reimbursement for Medicaid appointments.


Metrolift  713-225-0119  Metrolift offers transportation services for mentally and physically disable persons.  Minimal fee.




Camp That Love Built  281-447-2707  Overnight camp for individuals ages 6 and up with spina bifida.


Buckaroo Day Camp  Erin Hauder  713-838-9050

Week long day camp for children with disabilities (2-14) and siblings (2-10.  The week long camps begin in Jun and end in July.  Campers may attend one week only and provide transportation and their lunch.


Junior Wheelchair Sports Camp 1745 West Gray, Houston, Tx  Contact Peggy Turner  713-284-1973 

Day Camp ages 6-19 independent in self-care


Camp – Childrens Association for Maximum Potential  210-292-3566

Camp is located near Comfort, Texas  P.O. Box 27086, San Antonio, Tx.  78227  Provides a wide range of recreational, rehabilitative, and respite services for children with disabilities and their families.


Camp LIFE – Leadership, Independence, & Friends Through Experience  This respite weekend is held 2 times a year at Camp for All.  It provides recreation for children with disabilities and their siblings and a weekend respite for parents.


Dionysus Theatre 5601 Braeswood, Houston, Tx  7706  713-728-0041

Dionysys Theatre is a non-profit organization that provides experience for teen and young adults who are disabled, disadvantaged, chronically ill, or those able-bodies actors who want to help spread messages of love, dignity, and tolerance for people of all abilities.  Classes and auditions available.


The River  713-520-1220  A barrier free curriculum arts enrichment program for children ages 3 – 19 involving those with disabilities, chronic illness, homeless, and siblings.


High School Tech Program through the UCP Foundation  Contact Erin Linksey  713-838-9050  Program for high school students with disabilities that encourages the exploration of science, engineering, and technology related careers.


West Gray Adaptive Sports Center  1475 West Gray, Houston, Tx 77019  713-284-1973  Provides recreational activities for children and adults with disabilities.  Programs include free water exercise, open swin, & swimming lessons.  Participants must have independent functioning mobility sills or bring an adult attendant.  They also have an adult recreation fitness center for those 16 and older.  Weekly strength and conditioning program for youth participating on wheelchair sports teams 12 and older.  Adult wheelchair football and basketball teams for 16 and older.  Introduction to wheelchair sports held at various times and locations – call for information.  Ray of Light youth group education, socialization, play, and networking group for youth with multiple disabilities ages 2-19 and their families.  Parents are required to participate in activities with their child.  Meets the 2nd Saturday of each month.  For information call Rosario Vasquez at 281-870-0093.


Greater Houston Athletic Association for Physically Disabled  713-521-3737  Wheelchair soccer and bocce


TIRR Sports  713-797-5997  Coordinates a variety of sports activities, swimming, kayaking, basketball, etc.


Texas Adaptive Aquatics Sports Center , Lake Houston  281-324-4653

Water sports for children and adults with disabilities


Challenger Sports in College Station  979-764-3486


Church Ministries – Special Life Network  Churches offer different types of programs such as special Sunday School, volunteer buddies, respite, or parent group.